Canal Winchester Schools Athletics
Phase 1; Individual Skills Training for
Dear Canal Winchester Athletics Families,
On Thursday, May 21 the Ohio Department of Health, the OHSAA, and Governor DeWine’s office authorized the beginning of interscholastic individual skills training for all sports. The order allows school facilities to be open specifically and exclusively for athletic purposes until June 30.
The Athletic Department of Canal Winchester Schools have collaborated to develop a plan using guidance from the Ohio Department of Health, the Ohio High School Athletic Association, the National Federation of High School Sports, and the Centers for Disease Control.
While we are all excited to bring our athletes and coaches back together, we want to do so in the safest manner possible to ensure the well-being of all involved.
Canal Winchester Schools Responsible Athlete and Coaching
Protocols (Phase 1): Canal Winchester Athletics cannot stress enough the
importance of ALL athletes, coaches, and families reviewing these documents as
our athletic practices have changed in response to Covid-19. Please carefully
read the attachments in this letter and do not hesitate to reach out to your
head coach or athletic director with questions or concerns. Adherence to the
protocols are mandatory.
Lastly; information changes quickly. As information is changed/edited, I will get out new policies and procedures as quickly as time will allow.
Responsible Athlete Protocols
Attachment 2: Responsible Coaching Protocols
Attachment 3: Frequently Asked Questions
Pat Durbin, Director of Athletics
1: Athlete Protocol
1. Conduct daily health
assessment. Before participating in any sport activity, ALL athletes must conduct a self-assessment (i.e. temperature and generally how are you feeling?) PRIOR to arriving at facility to determine participation. After entering school or outdoor athletic facilities ALL athletes must check in with their coach to verify the completion of the self-assessment *Anyone with symptoms must stay home.*
2. Water will NOT be provided. ALL
athletes must bring their own water bottle and may not share water with
teammates. If an athlete does not bring their own water they will NOT be
allowed to participate in that session.
3. Maintain good hygiene. ALL athletes are required to wash hands before participation.
Athletes are encouraged to shower and change clothes immediately after
4. Clean and sanitize. ALL athletes must assist in maintaining a clean and sanitary
athletic facility by sanitizing equipment before, during, and after each event.
5. Maintain social distancing guidelines. ALL athletes must follow social distancing guidelines and maintain
six-foot distancing practices while on school grounds and while participating
in any sport activity.
6. NO-touch rule is in effect. ALL athletes must avoid physical contact with others including
high fives, huddles, or other close contact occurring before, during, and after
athletic sessions unless the contact is for the purpose of safety.
7. Before and after practice sessions. ALL athletes should arrive no more than 10 minutes prior to the start of their session and be picked up immediately following the conclusion of the session. No athlete can gather in groups before or after the
2: Coach Protocol
1. All vulnerable
individuals with serious health issues and/or workplace concerns should report
these to the Athletic Director.
2. Conduct daily health assessment. Before entering any school facility, ALL coaches must conduct a self-assessment (i.e. temperature and generally how are you feeling?) to determine if “fit for duty”. After entering the facility, ALL coaches must complete the OHSAA Covid 19 monitoring form. *Anyone with symptoms must stay home.*
3. Maintain good hygiene. ALL coaches are required
to wash their hands before leading their activity. Coaches are encouraged
to change clothes upon returning home.
4. Clean and sanitize. ALL coaches must maintain a clean and sanitary
area and sanitize equipment before, during, and after each event using district
provided cleaning products.
5. Maintain social distancing guidelines. ALL coaches must follow social distancing
guidelines and maintain six-foot distancing practices while on school grounds
and while participating in any sport activity
6. NO-touch rule is in effect. ALL coaches must ensure athletes avoid physical
contact with others including high fives, huddles, or other close contact
occurring before, during, and after athletic sessions unless the contact is for
the purpose of safety.
7. Individual sport plans. All coaches are required to submit their
individual sport plans prior to beginning any training.
Attachment 3: FAQ’s
What is the timeline for this process? In partnership with our
local health departments and the Ohio High School Athletic Association, we will
be using the following timeline to return to Skills Training in Phase 1:
- May 26 - May 31 - Athletic departments planning for the safe return of coaches and athletes.
- May 30 - Coaches submit their individual sports plan for approval by AD before activity may begin. Athletic Directors and Head Coaches will meet to discuss protocols and individual plans based on each sport.
- June 1 - Optional activities begin by sport pod. Communication will come from the Head Coach with pod assignments, date, and times for each activity.
- June 15 - Evaluation of Phase I and determination of next steps.
What is a pod? A pod consists of no
more than 10 people. It may be one coach and up to 9 participants
What about multi-sport athletes? Can they attend workouts with multiple sports? Yes. Athletes may
participate in one pod per sport.
Can a coach be a part of multiple pods? Yes. We will have more pods in some sports than we have coaches, so coaches will need to work with multiple pods.
Are Middle School kids
permitted to participate?No. We are going
to start this plan with our high school athletes before we expand to the middle
Are spectators allowed to enter facilities and observe workouts? NO. Not
while we are in phase 1.