Driving a school bus is an important job - drivers must focus on what's happening outside the bus and on the road as well as manage behavior inside the bus. Please help our drivers keep everyone safe by reviewing bus safety with your children at the beginning of each year and reminding them throughout the year.
Bus Stop Safety
Be at your bus stop five minutes before the scheduled pick-up time.
- Arrive early at the bus stop – at least five minutes before the bus is scheduled to arrive
- Stand 6 feet (or three giant steps) away from the curb while waiting for the bus
- Young children should be supervised at the bus stop
- Cross in front of the bus – at least 10 feet (or five giant steps) – and make eye contact with the driver before crossing
- Never walk behind the bus
- If you drop something near the bus, do not pick it up; tell the bus driver instead
Wait in a safe spot away from traffic until the driver signals you to board.
Your school bus driver will choose a special "place of safety" for each student at the bus stop. This spot will be at least 20 steps or more away from the bus. When you get off the bus at your stop, you must go back to this "designated place of safety" and stay there until the bus leaves. When you are at the "place of safety," the bus driver can see you clearly, and you are away from any possible dangers.
Board the Bus Safely
- Wait until the bus has stopped and the door opens before approaching the bus or standing up on the bus
- Use the handrail
- Secure any loose or hanging objects like straps on a backpack or drawstrings on a hood
Bus Riding Safety
Respect the driver and follow their directions promptly and politely.
Stay seated while the bus is moving and keep the aisles and exits clear.
- Never put your head or arms out of the bus windows.
- Get on and off the bus at your assigned stop, unless you have permission from parents and the school administration.
- Only bring objects that can fit in your lap, unless you have special permission for larger items.
- No animals are allowed on the bus, except trained service animals.
- Student Code of Conduct rules apply on the bus as well as at school:
- Be well-behaved and use appropriate language, so everyone can concentrate on the ride.
- No eating or drinking on the bus, except for medically-required items.
- Harmful items like drugs, alcohol, cigarettes, vapes, or dangerous objects are prohibited on the bus and at school.
Remember, the school bus is a place for everyone to feel safe, so let's work together to make it a great ride for everyone!