English Learners Supports
At Canal Winchester Schools, we want to make sure students have all the support needed to thrive in learning.
First, our certified EL teachers are here to help you right from the start. They'll assess your English skills in a friendly way to understand how they can best support you. Based on the assessment and your skill development, you might receive different types of help:
Pull-out sessions: Sometimes, you'll get to work with your ELL teacher in small groups to receive direct English instruction. It's a great opportunity to focus on improving your language skills.
Push-in support: In other instances, your ELL teacher might join your regular classes to provide language support right where you are. Don't worry; they'll be there to help you along the way.
Classroom immersion: We want you to feel comfortable and part of your regular classes, so your ELL teacher will check in with you regularly to ensure you're doing great!
Our certified EL teachers also team up with your classroom teachers to create great learning environments for you. Here are some of they ways students benefit when our EL teachers collaborate with their classroom teachers:
- They encourage friendships between you and your classmates and teachers.
- You'll get to work on exciting cooperative learning activities together with your peers.
- Your ELL teacher will arrange study partners for you – someone to study and learn with, making the experience more enjoyable.
- We believe in your unique skills! Your language and cultural knowledge can be resources for the whole class, and we'll celebrate that.
- Our goal is to make you feel at ease in the learning setting, so you can ask questions, share your thoughts, and feel confident in your studies.
- We'll provide you with lots of age-appropriate reading materials to enjoy and improve your reading skills.
Remember, different students might need different kinds of support. That's why we'll work together with a team of educators to create a customized plan just for you. This plan will help us meet your unique needs and help you succeed in your education.
Welcome to our ELL program, and let's make this school year a fantastic one together!
The Ohio English Language Proficiency Assessment (OELPA) is an annual test required by the Ohio Department of Education. It's given each spring to K-12 students in English Learner programs.
The OELPA checks how well you're doing in four important language skills: speaking, listening, reading, and writing. The test has different levels to show your growth:
- Level 1: Beginning
- Level 2: Early Intermediate
- Level 3: Intermediate
- Level 4: Early Advanced
- Level 5: Advanced
If a student meets the advanced level in all four skill areas, they are ready to exit the EL program.
Once you take the test, your scores will be combined to give you an overall proficiency rating. This rating helps us see how well you're doing overall in English. There are three levels for this:
Remember, this test is just one way to track progress. If you have any questions about the OELPA test, don't hesitate to reach out to your teachers.