Canal Winchester School District 2020 Highlights
Heading into the holiday break, I wanted to take this opportunity to wish our CW community a safe, relaxing, and enjoyable holiday season. I am grateful to be part of a district and community that supports education even during these unprecedented times.
Though this holiday season may look a little different this year, I hope we can all take the time to reflect on the hidden gifts 2020 has given us. Out of difficult circumstances, we have realized the ordinary is actually pretty extraordinary. Looking back on the year here are some of those things I am grateful for:
- The opportunity to continue educating students and for all of the little things we may not have experienced had our doors not reopened this past fall. I am thankful for these glimpses of normal and reminders of what an amazing school district we are all part of.
- Our parents who have had to adjust their schedules to match Hybrid and CWOLA learning. Our students who continue to show up and are ready to learn whether in-person or online. Thank you for making the most out of the school year.
- Our teachers who have had to modify and create multiple lesson plans to cover different types of learning, answer students’ questions at all times of the day, while many balance the roles of parent and remote learning instructor with their own children. Thank you for never giving up.
- Our entire staff from administrators to support staff who have taken on new responsibilities to make this school year work. They have been creative and flexible to safely problem solve, conduct daily district business, communicate, and work together in ways we have never done before. Thank you for the being such an outstanding team.
- Our Board of Education members who have supported, trusted and worked with our district’s leadership to offer flexibility and educational options for our CW families. They have advocated for our students to ensure they continue to receive a quality education and have the resources to do so during these times of uncertainty.
This year has brought challenges and changes, but I appreciate everyone’s flexibility and patience to work through this new process. I always knew Canal Winchester was an amazing place, and 2020 has confirmed that. True character comes out during difficult times, and I could not be more proud to be part of this community. Happy Holidays & Happy New Year to you and your family.
Jim Sotlar, Superintendent
PORTRAIT OF A GRADUATE Empowering All Students For Success means more than academic achievement. For our students to be prepared for life beyond graduation and for meaningful, self-sustaining careers, we must focus on the whole individual. Our Canal Winchester Portrait of a Graduate describes the skills and attributes that will empower all students for success now and in the future. The portrait describes the skills, attributes and character traits we believe our students need for life beyond graduation. Our goal is to develop the whole child: academically, mentally, socially, and behaviorally. The six themes are all equally important. The district will take the next year or so to develop a plan of action to implement the Portrait in grades K-12 and develop a measuring tool. We must focus on this as much as we do our academics. They are both important if we truly want to empower all students for success. PORTRAIT OF A GRADUATE
Respectful Citizens show empathy, compassion and kindness ? act with integrity ? model appropriate behaviors in different settings
Problem Solver think critically to analyze situations ? create solutions with diverse thinking ? persevere when challenged
Self-Aware Individuals show confidence in their strengths ? attend to their needs and well-being ? welcome opportunities to grow
Responsible Learners demonstrate self-motivation and discipline ? work hard to achieve goals ? reflect and improve
Collaborators build positive relationships ? cooperate on teams ? share success and accountability
Communicators listen for understanding ? strive for accuracy and clarity ? utilize technology and media effectively